Ensure that all meetings take place in protected time and are held in a private and undisturbed environment.
Meet with your trainee within the first two weeks of the post to:
- Develop a personalised work schedule which should be uploaded on to the e-portfolio.
- Develop a personal learning plan with your trainee which is mutually agreed and which will be the point of reference for future appraisals.
- Give your trainee an opportunity to comment on their training and the support provided
- Ensure that your trainee understands his/her responsibility for their own learning, the structure of the programme, the curriculum, the educational opportunities available, the assessment system and the relevant e-portfolio.
- Plan a programme of clinic and theatre attendance.
Give honest and constructive feedback on a regular basis which is recorded. (See: Effective feedback.)
Oversee the education of your trainee, acting as mentor and meeting up to ensure that he/she is making the expected clinical and educational progress.
Ensure that your trainee knows how to access careers advice and support.
Be familiar with and maintain knowledge of the training programme, curriculum requirements and educational opportunities available.