Q. Do I require a separate ‘educational’ meeting or a specific ‘educational’ appraiser?
A. No. This can be part of your usual yearly appraisal with your appraiser.
Q. The current revalidation cycle is five years. Is the educational revalidation cycle the same?
A. Yes. As of the end of September 2017, the GMC introduced a separate section on the specialist register to confirm the trainer status of the individual. This will be reviewed along with revalidation.
There are five domains under which to submit evidence.
- Designing and planning learning
- Teaching and facilitating learning
- Assessment of learning
- Educational research and scholarship
- Educational management and leadership
Evidence can be gathered from attending formal courses but also through the usual work of being a supervisor – attending Local Faculty Group meetings (at least 2 out of 3 per year), trainer update days, undertaking teaching and training sessions (minimum of 2 per year, if you are an ES), carrying out assessments etc.
Some additional examples are given below. This list is not exhaustive:
- Facilitating journal clubs
- Undertaking teaching sessions for trainees at all levels (from foundation to HSTs)
- Supervising a trainee undertaking research
- Undertaking Supervised Learning Events (SLEs) assessments (Please get this evidence from the nhs e-portfolio using your log-in)
- Taking part in HELaSE recruitment panels and ARCP panels
- Career advice for trainees
- CPD for education (attending conferences, undertaking courses and undertaking further study in education –MA etc)
- Attending Local Faculty Groups (LFGs) (see Local Faculty Group page for full details)
- Attending the Local Academic Board (LAB)
- Attending trainer update days (either locally or nationally) or CPD workshops (contact Catherine Kidd to book a place on the East Kent workshop programme)
- Managing trainees in needing support
Please contact Jackie Foreman, Data Support Officer, Medical Education (email@example.com) for advice on what evidence can be supplied via our data system for your education appraisal.