Why train and learn in Women's Health at East Kent?
QEQMH has approx. 3,000 births/year whilst WHH has 4,000 and hosts our level 3 neo-natal unit, both with dedicated obstetric theatres and C-section lists most days. This means you will gain experience in the management of extreme pre-term conditions and complications. There are regular gynaecology clinics and operating lists managing the most complex to the routine.
conditions across a number of specialist areas e.g. gynae oncology, adolescent gynaecology and endometriosis for you to learn in.
We cover the special interests’ areas in O&G such as subfertility, foetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics, colposcopy and rapid access, urogynaecology, medical education, risk management and audit. All of which you are encouraged to take part in. The regional Gynaecological Oncology centre for the whole of East Kent is based at QEQM, with a weekly oncology clinic at WHH.
Regional training days are incorporated into the rota as are the teaching and learning opportunities we have on offer. All our Educational Supervisors are qualified. We have strong links with the KSS School of O&G and the College Tutors participate actively in recruitment and ARCP reviews. The trainees have an active participation in a well-established Local Faculty Group. Some other highlights:
- Our Foetal Medicine Unit is partnered with Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital
- WHH now has 18 consultants in the department with 24 hour consultant presence (this means consultant-led supervision and training 24/7)
- WHH has a brand-new Gynaecological Centre offering you the opportunity to develop ambulatory gynae and early pregnancy skills and experience e.g. MVA, out-patients hysteroscopy. You can already get this at QEQMH
- We run multi-disciplinary maternal medicine ante-natal clinics
- We have an active education
Local Teaching: Our Faculty of multi professional learning runs an active educational programme covering for example simulation, human factors, foetal monitoring including foetal physiology, technical skills. You will have protected time to attend these and learn alongside theatre, anaesthetics and midwifery colleagues in a safe space. In addition, there is tailored weekly teaching to meet the curriculum needs whatever programme you are on.
2019 General Medical Council National Training Survey showed O&G at QE rated green in educational governance as a specialty and as a programme rated green in educational governance, handover and local teaching’